Recordings and music
New album in the autumn
Sigmund Groven will release a new album on September 25th. It’s a collaboration with Hardanger fiddle master Knut Buen, a long time friend of Sigmund. The project is called The Sound of Telemark and will present folk music from and inspired by the traditional region. The recording of the album took place at the Norwegian Industrial Workers Museum in Rjukan, Telemark, a UNESCO Industrial Heritage Site. Read more about this album in our rundown (in Norwegian for the time being).
Concerts are in Norway unless otherwise mentioned. Please check this page in case of cancellations or delays due to the current pandemic.
September 30th, Rjukan: Album launch concert for The sound of Telemark, featuring Sigmund, Knut Buen and Anne Gravir Klykken. The venue is the Norwegian Industrial Worker’s Museum at Vemork. Tickets will go on sale on August 31st at nia.no at 12 am (noon).
October 13th, Øvre Eiker: På kino i kveld (Music from the Movies), a special programme with Tone Braaten (soprano), Lars Klevstrand (vocal and guitar), Ivar Anton Waagaard (piano) and Sigmund. The concert starts at 7 pm in Vestfossen at Fossesholm Herregård.
Tommy Reilly: 2019 marked the centenary of Tommy Reilly, the legendary harmonica virtuoso who was Sigmund’s mentor. On August 2nd, 2019 Chandos Records released a special CD, A Life in Music – Vintage Tommy Reilly with rare and previously unreleased recordings of Tommy Reilly, compiled by Sigmund and Tommy’s son David. Available from Chandos on CD (global shipping available) and also on Spotify and other streaming services.
Sigmund’s own records are listed on the discography page.
- On September 21st, Sigmund and Knut Buen are interviewed in NRK Radio’s Holm between 9 am 11 am.
- On September 18th, Sigmund and Knut Buen are interviewed in NRK Radio’s Klassisk vorspiel at 4 pm.
- On August 29th 2020, NRK2 broadcast Notodden’s Blues Festival’s Telemark tribute, where Sigmund and Knut Buen appears twice.
- On May 28th 2020, NRK P1 spoke to Sigmund and Knut Buen about their new record
- On May 28th 2020, NRK TV’s local news reports on Sigmund and Knut Buen’s joint project
- On November 2nd, 2019 Sigmund was the soloist on KORK’s radio concert (the Norwegian Radio Orchestra).
- On Friday October 18th 2019 at 3 pm CET Sigmund talked to NRK’s Klassisk vorspiel about Songs for harmonica (rerun the day after).
- Sigmund talked to NRK Radio about Songs for harmonica on September 20th, 2019.
- A presentation of the Tommy Reilly album in NRK’s Jukebox (at 50:50).
As of August 2018, Sigmund is a harmonica teacher at the Norwegian Academy of Music. The academy is the highest level of music education in Norway.